Sound & Video
In this section, I will go over some of the popular multimedia software used in Linux. Each application will have it's own page with a description of its use and features and screenshots of the software in action.
- Radio Tray is an online streaming radio player. The icon is usually found in the panel or system tray. It has a very simple interface.
- Radiotray Lite is an online radio streaming player with minimum interface that runs on a Linux system tray.
- Pithos is an open source Pandora Radio client for Linux. It allows you to use your Pandora account to listen to streaming music without using a browser.
- Spotify is a digital music service that allows you to play millions of songs for free.
- Asunder is graphical application that allows you to rip or copy songs from a Audio CD to your computer's hard drive. It also can also encode your music files to multiple formats, such as WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC, Opus, Musepack, WavPack, Monkey's Audio, and AAC files.
- EasyTag is a simple application for viewing and editing tags in audio and video files.
- SimpleScreenRecorder is an application that allows you to record your entire screen or just a section of it.
- Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) is a free and open-source software suite for recording your desktop and live streaming.
- FF Multi Converter is an application which enables you to convert audio, video, image and document files between all popular formats.
- FFmpeg (Fast Forward MPEG) is a free and open source command-line utility that can encode and decode a variety of media formats.
- MediaInfo is an application that displays the technical information for your audio and video files.
- Bomi is a very powerful open source mulitmedia player that is easy-to-use.
- Gnome MPV is a very powerful multimedia player based on MPlayer.
- MPlayer is a powerful and versatile media player that can play a variety of multimedia formats.
- SMPlayer is a cross-platform multimedia player that is capable of playing most of the major video files on the Internet.
- VLC Media Player is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player that supports most video file formats.
- HandBrake is a very powerful tool for converting videos to a number of different formats and for ripping and encoding DVDs.
- Avidemux is a video editor used for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks.
- Selene Media Encoder is an audio/video converter for audio and video files.